Bethlen Gábor Secondary School, Vocational School and Student Hostel

  • 4300 Nyírbátor, Kossuth Lajos utca 28.
  • 06-42/281-290



In the history of Nyírbátor the roots of handicraft go back to the 1300s. Due to the favourable geographic location of the settlement,due to the density of roads, it became the region’s industrial and trade center. In the mid 1600s records show that almost one third of the city’s population were craftsmen grouped into guilds.

In 1873 – among the first in the county – the training of apprentices began, within the frames of “ismétlőiskola”.

Due to the influence of the XVII law article released in 1884, which drew up an Industry Act, the city council of the town of Nyírbátor created  an Apprentice School . Lessons here lasted from 5 to 7 PM, also on Sunday mornings. Lessons were held in the building of the local state elementary school. This type of school  functioned until 1934. Then it moved into an idependent building at 2 Árpád Street. 

Between 1885 and 1938 general direction apprentice education continued for boys.

In the next years it became a specialization and training for women also became possible. The name of the school was “Községi Szakirányú Iparostanonc Iskola Nyírbátor” (Local Apprentice Vocational School Nyírbátor).

After the second world war the release of the IV law article of 1949 brought a significant change for industrial and trade students, which resulted in a large-scale vocational training and the balance of theory and practice. 

The school was nationalized in 1948. Two years later the name was “MTH 186. számú Iparostanuló Iskola Nyírbátor”. In accordance with the  political guidelines of the time, the school lost its independence in the forthcoming years, and it was assimilated into the “Nyíregyháza MTH 250. sz. Iparostanuló Iskola”, yet the training remained at the same place. From 1957 it functioned as an affiliated school, which was also indicated in its name: “MÜM nr. 140. Local Trade School affiliated to Nyírbátor”.

Theoretical education continued in the no.1 and no.2 Elementary School. 

In 1970 a 6-classroom school building was finished at 6 Ifjúság Street, which secured better conditions for theoretical education, although practical training remained on the premises of businesses, because school workshops were not yet established. 

From 1971 the institute regained its administrative and economic independence, its new name being “MÜM 140. sz. Ipari Szakmunkásképző Intézet Nyírbátor” Trade School of Nyírbátor. From this year on the school performed examinations independently in front of a state examination board (“Állami Szakmunkás Vizsgabizottság”). 

The professional and general supervision of the training was performed by the authority of the County Council, while the operation of the school was guaranteed by the Town Council of Nyírbátor from the year 1978. 

In October 1987 600 students and 70 staff members took possession of the current school building at 9 Füveskert Street, which made the  joint theoretical and practical education possible. A workshop and a gymnasium  was also  attached to the premises. The school consisted of  9 classrooms, 2 lecture rooms, 3 rooms for profession groups, 5 laboratories, 1 library and the main  office rooms. 

The school was expanded in 1997, altogether with 7 classrooms by converting  space in the attic of the building.

From 1988 practical training was launched in 6 professions in the school's own workshops for the first time in its history. 

In 1997 due to the conversion  and rebuilding of the attic, the number of practice rooms also increased with:

1 special classroom  for commercial studies
1 room equipped with measuring tools, and instruments
1 clothing industry workshop
4 guestrooms
1 school office
1 school kitchen
1 multicenter

On 30 April 1993 the institute was named after Gábor Bethlen, the famous monarch of Transylvania. The name: “Bethlen Gábor Szakközép-, Szakmunkásképző és Szakiskola”, expresses the three levels (Vocational Secondary School, Trade School, Apprentice School) of the vocational training. 

The fact justifies the developments in the school. The institute joined a worldbank project in 1995 with the help of the  PHARE programme. The new model changed the structure of the school fundamentally. According to the changes  in the 9th and 10th grade  guidance and pre-vocational training takes place,  in the 11th and 12th grade – besides profession group education – the preparation  for the final exam is performed. According to this new  system professional specialization starts only after the final exam. 

From 2001 the name of the school changed into “Bethlen Gábor Szakképző Iskola Nyírbátor” due to public education and training laws.

Public education laws concerning training changed at a national level, thus the structure of vocational training changed accordingly. From 1997 the training lasts for  4 (2+2) years. 

In 1998 our institute became  part of a  program financed by the world bank by launching an additional vocational class in a new profession group  in trade-marketing.    

From the same year the acquisition of a new specialization: the Border guard specialization became possible after the final examination.

According to the expectations of the labor market our training lines are changing flexibly and continuously. From 1999 the school participates in the training of network specialists as  the local institute of CISCO. From 2002 it also functions as an ECDL examination center. 

Since 1999 the school has been  operated and  managed under the county-level  authorities. From 2001  to the  present the name of the institute reflects that the student hostel  joined the school. 

introduction institutions


Iratkozz fel Te is, hogy értesülj legújabb híreinkről és eseményeinkről!


A honlap működésével kapcsolatos információt az alábbi elérhetőségeken kérhetsz:

  • Telefon: 06/42-508-720

You are here: Főoldal Home Intézmények bemutatkozása (angol) Bethlen Gábor Secondary School, Vocational School and Student Hostel